A New Old House

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: A New Old House

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Could someone have removed a wall between a hallway and the dining room? Then the green room would make perfect sense as a bathroom!

Maybe the floor will give you clues, if this was indeed a bathroom you should find plugged holes from various pipes.

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

There are no ghosts on the floor of the dining room or the ceiling that seem to indicate a former wall ?

There are a couple of patches on the floor of the green room adjacent to the powder room wall where is plumbing. Some older houses I've been in had holes like these where there had been a gas stove, if there had been a boarder or person renting a room, though ?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Willa, I too noticed the open space. I think there would have been a wall separating to door from the living area. Most homes the front door opens into a hall way. The hallway leads to doors into the parlour or small receiving room on one side, dinning room on the other. To the back of the hall would be a kitchen enterance and maybe a second room. Often the end of the hall would be the rear door. But it was never a hard fast rule.

Willa

Post by Willa »

It just doesn't make sense with regards to the placement of the front door. Also - the trim where a wall could have been is not disturbed or altered. This floor plan is common in houses in this area. Remember, too that that the listing pics are quite distorted. I wish my dining room area was the 24' x 26' or so that it looks in the photos, but it isn't.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Creative sales photography eh!. Being a modest middle class home Willa if you see no signs of a wall then it never did have a wall those sorts of changes are hard to hide, makes it no less grand. I was looking at your Art Deco looking sconces again. I wonder if the layers of trim is a way of hiding a surface mounted electrical box. The original knob and tube wiring to fixture connection may have been mounted flush to the wall. To make the connection now would require a box for that connection. Mounting the box directly to the wall would eliminate the need to cut into the wall to recess the box. The stacked trim boards provide a means to hide the box. If so it is an interesting solution to meeting code.

Willa

Post by Willa »

I suspect there are some shenanigans under those sconces. The contradictions in what was paid attention to v.s. ignored is really starting to puzzle me. Not enough to start taking those sconces off the wall to inspect but, enough that I have plenty to wonder about.