Speaking of introductions.......

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Speaking of introductions.......

Post by Lily left the valley »

sundine2 wrote:No I have not posted any pictures yet. I am not sure how to do that anymore actually.
The District has a Gallery now, so you can download your pictures into your own folder here once you create it within the Gallery.

This has become quite handy since many of us used to use Photobucket, which is now charging for "third party hosting". When you'd link from PB to this site, that's considered third party hosting. PB doesn't like that because they lose ad revenue when folks don't go to their site via a text link, and instead can see the image on another site that they assume is stealing all their ad revenue without having to pay for the backend support of storing the images themselves.

The initial post about how to create your own gallery album and use it is here: https://thehistoricdistrict.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=801.

A bit more detail about how to link your gallery images to posts, and info about the subalbum set up can be found here: https://thehistoricdistrict.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12291#p128937
Last edited by Lily left the valley on Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

When I set up the site there was no gallery, so I decided to allow linking to externally hosted pictures. I really wish I had not, as so many sites you visit have broken image links due to things shifting elsewhere on the web. Uploading images as attachments is the simplest way, adding them to a gallery and linking to that is preferred by some folks
Mick...

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

A lot of the free hosting sites have technology they are loading onto your device to track you , cookies for sure but also maybe some malicious code or creative links to get you to click on things or sign on to further track your web activity. I dont' completely understand all these technologies, they are complex but I would say that the chances are pretty high that if you are trying to send others to third party sites people often wont' use them because they get tired of fixing issues with spyware and such and the hosting sites are riddled with garbage like that..one wrong click and you've installed some piece of junk software that you really didn't want on your machine.. oh neat another new toolbar that you can spend time trying to get removed from your browser for example.. a lot of it isn't very visible to the average user.. A more geeky computer guru can do better at removing all the stuff you end up with running in the background and slowing your machine down.