Holy Toledo!

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
bjclinger
Just Arrived

Holy Toledo!

Post by bjclinger »

Hi all,

I've been meaning to make this introduction for some time!

I have been owner occupying a 1914 true up down duplex for the past 2 years. She is in Toledo, OH's Old West End historic district which is where the upper crust of Toledo once lived (both of the apartments have maid's quarters!)

Amazingly the place has been owner occupied most of the past 100 years and pretty much everything in both units is intact. I still have original windows / doors / floors / cedar shake siding / mostly unpainted trim throughout the house. Most everything is in good shape, but I do have 99 of 100 windows to reglaze within the next few years and a few plaster bubbles 'o doom on ceilings which need repaired.

I've completed a few projects since I've had it.

----Before I moved in, I recoated all of the floors downstairs with two coats of poly (in retrospect I should have just refinished as the poly coat is holding up only moderately well, but I was afraid of removing too much floor sanding)

--- In 2016 I redid the ceiling and walls in my main bathroom as there was a leak in the tenant's bathroom directly above, which caused the original ceiling and a ceiling that was drywalled over it to come down.

--- In 2017 I refinished my kitchen cabinets, redid the walls (every wall (and ceiling!)in the house is covered with what I originally thought was wall paper, but now believe to be lining paper). I also stripped many many layers of floor until I got down to the original heart of pine covered in black mastic, at which point I gave up and put a floating true linoleum floor over it.

---In 2018 I need to: prep the tenants apartment to pass Toledo's new lead inspection (boo), redo a ceiling in a bedroom upstairs thanks to a radiator leak and hopefully fix my living room ceiling, as the plaster bubble is too big to fix with drywall screws and plaster disks.

Finally a picture of my place from a winter walk around the neighborhood last night:

Will get some more pictures up later!

-BC
Proprietor of the Cottrel Apts Est. MCMXIV

http://www.toledooldwestend.com/association/

Gothichome

Re: Holy Toledo!

Post by Gothichome »

Bjclinger, welcome to the District. A nice unmolested home is a rare find, glad to hear one has found a sympathetic owner. Look forward to more pics and conversation.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

hello and WELCOME!!
lovely photo of your home with the snow and light...ha, looks like you've got all one over one windows, lucky you!

...jade

historicalwork
Been here a good while

Post by historicalwork »

Can't wait to see pictures. I'm jealous of you having nearly all original windows. Our American Foursquare has only 7 left. I would love to meet the person that took out the original windows and put in the garbage windows we have now.... I'd have a few words for them...

bjclinger
Just Arrived

Post by bjclinger »

One of the most interesting things about my place is how similar but yet different the upstairs and downstairs apartments are. The upstairs apartment was owner occupied most recently so it is in a bit better shape than the downstairs. Here are some comparison pictures - apologies the ones for my side were taken tonight and are a little dark, the upstairs ones come from an old realtor listing.

My (downstairs) living room

Upstairs living room

Downstairs sunroom

Upstairs sunroom

Downstairs dining room

Upstairs dining room

And the big difference my kitchen:

Upstairs kitchen
Proprietor of the Cottrel Apts Est. MCMXIV

http://www.toledooldwestend.com/association/

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Very nice indeed, your dinning room walls are screaming for some arts and crafts wallpaper. Some one payed attention and were sympathetic to the style of the home. What are your plans for the white paint, keep it or strip it back to natural.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Hi bjclinger, welcome to the District :wave: :wave: :thumbup:
Mick...

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

Nice place(s)! I cannot believe how lucky it is to have so much still original. Can you take a pic of the downstairs kitchen faces the cabinets when you have time? They look very similar to mine and I am just curious. ;-)

It seems that you have made a very wise investment there!
Diane

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Bjclinger, have a look at this page
https://www.oldhousedreams.com/2012/05/ ... al-canada/
An untouched home

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Adding my welcome a bit late. :wave:

Thank you for all the pictures, and congrats on such a great find.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.