Narrow Sash Weights?

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
Graywings
Settling in

Re: Narrow Sash Weights?

Post by Graywings »

Sashguy, I used the header-mounted spring pulleys in another window. They were a bear to put in, but I did it. I could not use the Pullman version because they were too tall. Pullman directed me to a small company in Maryland called L&L Hydraulics that was able to send me a smaller version of the spring pulley.

But even that won't work with this window. Neither the side casing nor the head casing have room to put anything in there. i need a pulley that can be surface mounted and they just don't make them.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

how about fishing weights. you can melt them down and make them whatever shape you wish by pouring them into a mold plaster of paris would work ok Im sure, just make sure if you pour lead there is no moisture in the mold or it can blow the lead all over.

as a kid I used to have a "tin soldier" set, it involved melting the lead and pouring it into molds to make tin soldiers, then they could be painted.. funny to think of this as a toy now and every one freaks out when toys come from china with a little lead paint,,, man we were playing with the stuff, mercury too rolling it around in our hands and making stuff float in it , lead floats in mercury, cool.. ;) fun toys lol

ptrudeau
Just Arrived

Post by ptrudeau »

Thanks all for the great ideas. I'm working with a local steel manufacturer on pricing for 1 1/2" round stock; a 12" stick will weigh about 6 lbs, which should work. Had also considered the Pullman balances - would definitely save on labor but need to check pricing on those.

After reading the comments, it really is a mystery if these windows ever had sash weights....! Makes me wonder if the Pullman balances are actually the best way to go...

Graywings
Settling in

Post by Graywings »

PaulT, what did you end up doing? I am on to my next window and have exactly the same situation on one side - a 1 and 3/4 inch opening.

ptrudeau
Just Arrived

Post by ptrudeau »

I actually ended up using the standard Pullman sash balances: http://pullmanmfg.com/standard.html. They worked really well, the challenge was cutting new holes in the jambs. Got better as I went along!

The price on steel stock was way over the homeowner's budget, so this was the best solution. The windows are working great.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Graywings wrote:
But even that won't work with this window. Neither the side casing nor the head casing have room to put anything in there. i need a pulley that can be surface mounted and they just don't make them.

Cant you just mortice a pocket for the pullmans through the casing and right into the studs either side, to get the depth you need?
Mick...

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Mount a standard sash pulley backwards-the majority of the business will project out. If you can't picture what I am talking about think: turn the jamb piece, pulley and all, around and put it back with the back facing out. Barring that get hold of some old wood thread spools and make a couple, and hold it in with a common nail through the centre hole.

Graywings
Settling in

Post by Graywings »

mick_vt wrote:
Cant you just mortice a pocket for the pullmans through the casing and right into the studs either side, to get the depth you need?

That's probably the only solution. But that's some deep morticing into some really hard wood. Just getting holes in the solid 1 inch frames has been a bear for me.

Neighmond, I thought of that idea as well. But there is the risk that the sash weights would bang into the glass.