Show me your front doors!

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place where most discussions occurred.
csnyder (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Re: Show me your front doors!

Post by csnyder (WavyGlass) »

I've meaning to take a better picture of ours, but I keep forgetting. Until I remember, here's the best picture I have:

The storm door obscures it a lot, but the basic design is visible in this picture. It has the original Corbin mortise lockset, and I have on my keychain what may be an original key: It has Corbin's logo stamped on one side, and "Robbins, 7 Ransom" on the other. Robbins Lock Shop just around the corner from my house, but 7 Ransom is a couple miles away, downtown (it's also now a parking lot). Sometime I'm going to stop by Robbins and ask if they ever were at that location.
1916 Craftsman
Image Image

Sooth (WavyGlass)
Knows the area

Post by Sooth (WavyGlass) »

You have to check out this Etsy seller! OMG. He (or she) has an absolutely amazing selection of old doors. Unfortunately, most are in "as salvaged" condition, including many holes, breaks, missing glass, and tons of flaking paint. And they're all fairly expensive (considering the condition). That said, it's still worth a look for ideas, and there are a few bargains. One is solid 1/4 sawn oak ($$$$$$$), a few are beautiful solid birch, several are ornate Victorian ones, etc.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/PennAntiqueRestore

Lauren674 (WavyGlass)
Been here a while

Post by Lauren674 (WavyGlass) »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355670615.991008.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355670615.991008.jpg (124.77 KiB) Viewed 850 times

Our door is oak, 1920's.
Present: Image and long, long ago:Image
Lauren
Restoring our 2nd Generation in-the-family Bungalow
http://www.pbase.com/lauren674/root

Lauren674 (WavyGlass)
Been here a while

Post by Lauren674 (WavyGlass) »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355670776.230041.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355670776.230041.jpg (129.98 KiB) Viewed 850 times

Oak, 1920's installation.
Present: Image and long, long ago:Image
Lauren
Restoring our 2nd Generation in-the-family Bungalow
http://www.pbase.com/lauren674/root

Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Wackyshack »

Lavendar Bush gave me a pair of green doors I restored and had glass made....

Here they are installed...the front one just done before Christmas so I have to wait till spring to paint out the green trim. None of it was cheap. $500 for the glass for each door $100 for new repro bells, $200 for motise lockboxes, knobs and key deadbolt and hinges. $1200 for a carpenter to make a custom jam, threshold, square off, put rods to hold them together, set the glass, do repairs, etc....and install each one.... $2grand per door total for everything. Don't tell my husband!!!!

My back door purchased off some person who bought an old house but thought a steel door was better ..... I had new stained glass made. The other door in the foreground was also for free and I restored and put the elements on it. $500 for the glass. It fit in the existing jam so it was just a day's labor to the carpenter. I still have to have the "Servant's Entrance" sign repainted. It's missing and was covering the mail slot on the door.

still have touch up to do but here is the back door...... hated that steel one.
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

I like the glass panels! How did you brace them so the doors slamming shut won't make them shake apart?

Wackyshack

Post by Wackyshack »

They were made by a stained glass company in CA. The glass was put into a very heavy, thick frame. The old wood had to be routed out and the panel set into the doors and rubberized caulk to cushion around it was squirted in. The molding was put back on, and since I had custom jams made to fit the doors, no one has to ever slam them to get them to shut. I won't say company and the ignorant have never slammed them a bit, but they shake and so far are okay. There is very cushiony weather stripping around the door too. I get a nice tight seal. It is single pane but thinking about it, maybe I would have been better off getting it encased in 2 layers of glass that they offered, but I wanted it to look authentic and real. Even this way they don't let in the cold like the other
useless steel doors which didn't fit the jams. The PO had put 1/2 round molding around the door frame to get the doors to fit. I had a 1/4 space at the top of the front door....

Alyson
Settling in

Post by Alyson »

wackyshack - my DH wonders if we can have our doors back :D

Without joking? They have found a wonderful home x

Wackyshack

Post by Wackyshack »

Lavender!!!! I am so glad you got to see them...I did give them a good home and thanks to your contribution I love coming home...and hate leaving it.

Tell DH... finders, keepers! ;) 8-)

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

I am getting that way myself.