Clawfoot tub - what to pay??

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Clawfoot tub - what to pay??

Post by GibsonGM »

Hey, I was looking at a job for a nice old lady today, and we got to talking about our old homes. She took me in and showed me a GREAT 5 foot rolled edge clawfoot tub.

The porcelain is immaculate, only has the blue 'mineral stain' by the drain approx. 1" in length. The exterior could use a coat of black paint or something...I am a painter so that is *free* for me.

It still has the antique faucets, overflow, and brass drain. She had hoped to install it one day, but her husband passed away :roll:

Long story short, she asked me what I thought I would pay for it, since I'm in the market for one, and I threw out $400 as a price that I personally would be ok paying, but told her maybe she should research it. People being who they are, she liked me and my wife's "project" up here, so she just said $400 would do.

Looking for a little quick check on that...is one of us getting hosed, or is that a fair price? I often see them for over $1,000, but they are fancily plumbed with the whole curtain kit etc...this is just tub, feet, faucets...clean and scratch free.

Thanks!

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Clawfoot tub - what to pay??

Post by Corsetière »

Well, I paid $100 for mine (without fixtures) but it took quite a bit of work to get the exterior stripped and ready for painting.

TexasRed
Been here a good while

Post by TexasRed »

I think price will vary depending on location. In other words, supply vs. demand.

In New Mexico they are rare yet not particularly popular = less expensive (avg $100). In Texas they are in high demand and bring prices from $350 - $900.

IMO, $400 seems reasonable for a nice tub in good condition with drain etc. included.

Bet it will look beautiful in your house! :-D
James Jefferson Erwin house, 1905

Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Post by Kashka-Kat »

$400 sounds generous, yet not overly so. I see them for 200-300 around here (WI) and IMHO, porcelain in "immaculate" condition would be worth a little extra. Really, no scratches or discoloration at all aside from what you mentioned?

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

If it's a really nice original, $400 isn't too out of line, especially with period fixtures. Salvage yards try to sell the ones that are rusted all to heck for about $250 or so.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Lenght affects price greatly - the more unusual sizes, especially the longer ones fetch more. Salvage yards tend to be more expensive than private sales of course. I have exactly the same lions feet as you do Corsetière!
Mick...

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I took a quick look on craig's list...for one (tub only) in good clean condition, price averaged around $400-$700 in my area...I think your offer is a kind considerate one...if you are both happy, well then the story has a happy ending!

best of luck...
...jade

Sinoed
Knows the area

Post by Sinoed »

I looked at some tubs today in a salvage store. Prices ranged from $100 for a rusty tub with no hardware to $1000 for a completely refinished tub with new glazing and hardware. I think $400 sounds about right for a nice tub and hardware in good original condition. Sounds like you've made a great deal.

GibsonGM
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GibsonGM »

Hi All,

Yes, I think the consensus is pretty good...things are really just worth what you will pay for them, ha ha. To buy a new modern tub we don't want, WITH faucets and drain, that would run at least $500 for cheap stuff. So I think I am getting a good deal, while honoring this lady's commitment to what she'd dreamed she would one day do (the tub was lugged from MA to ME, and moved a few other times!). Didn't want to get a salvage $50 tub, have it glazed, find faucet, and all that stuff...she solved the problem for me :)

Corsetiere...awesome job on the restoration of that tub!! Beautiful! It's great what a little attention can do.

Kashka...no issues that I can find other than the small blue "mineral" track on the back side of the drain...smaller than a lady's thumb. This was a tub this nice old woman had searched out for HERSELF and moved a few times, and it's been taking up space in her house. I feel bad she never got to get it in place. She didn't even talk about it til I got to telling her about my old house, so I assume she found a personal connection, as in knowing she would not be selling it to a picker but someone who'd install it. She just SHOWED it to me, and I made an offer very gently...she did ask for $50 more than my $350 offer, LOL...said they paid $275 25 or 30 years ago, and had to remove it from a condemned house to boot.

I'll have to put more money in, of course, if we want to put in a shower and do the 'surround curtain' thing with pipe. But my wife's dream in this house that I'm renovating is HER bathroom....this is her birthday present :) Maybe next year we can get to the bathroom re-do!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

I think Kashka-Kat said it best, every one goes away feeling good. Those are the best deals. Here in the Chatham area I see them going for a hundred for a rotted out garden ornament to four hundred for a fresh take out with taps drain ect. And every thing in between. (Can $)