Wooden Counter Top for Bathroom

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Wooden Counter Top for Bathroom

Post by Wackyshack »

Things go real slow over here.
The good news on a side note is that last week I got the Reverse Osmosis filter finally put in I purchased in March 2020, and the Whole house filter just was finished today by a handyman. It was impossible to get my regular plumber in here, he came twice to look at the job and after 2 years of playing tag with him, I gave up.

This is my real new problem.
I purchased a faucet over 2 years ago and am still working on getting a replacement sink. I was thinking of going copper as the white one just doesn't do it for me.

Which wood would be the best for such an application?
I am going to have the handyman cut the counter top and I want to use reclaimed wood.
I was also considering marine varnish over the stain, or is that insane?
Anyone out there with any advice? I do belong to places like the "Our Old House" but wholesale I don't trust those people.
For years on end I have only read good sound advice and logical exploration of problems and solutions. You all are my rock.

This countertop was what I would like to go for. Anyone have an idea of the wood? I tried to hit the wood identifier and I have no real idea.
Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 10.47.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 10.47.32 AM.png (966.1 KiB) Viewed 2055 times
This is the uglyness I am replacing. Been wanting to change this for 16 years.... yes, like I said things go real slow over here. That faucet has looked that bad since the day I bought the house.
Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 2.58.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 2.58.19 PM.png (1.92 MiB) Viewed 2055 times
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

Gothichome

Re: Wooden Counter Top for Bathroom

Post by Gothichome »

Wackyshack, good to see your name on the forum.
The top looks To be oak with a red stain and/or red tinted finish. To get the look on the cheap, hunt the good will’s or habitat type places for a cheap antique dresser. You can salvage the top for your sink, or even better use the whole dresser as a vanity. Most of these old dressers have solid tops. Being a wet environment I would think marine varnish would be the way to go.
For something thicker you may have to a saw mill they will have lots of off cuts you might be able to purchase cheap.
Ron

Wackyshack

Post by Wackyshack »

Thank you Ron.

Oak... now that you have ID'd it I wondered why I couldn't see past the stained color and realize it would be one of the most durable woods out there.

My present sink was made from an old cabinet. Being in a very tight space finding a replacement piece will be more trouble than it is worth. Besides, I have to pay a handy man to do this work as it is beyond my husband's ability.
You can barely get by the sink cabinet to get to the toilet. I have looked at one time to find something smaller, but could never find anything that had the
storage I needed 3 inches less wide than what is there, and have the cabinet doors where the plumbing for the sink needs to be. I need to keep what I have for better or for worse.

There is a nice mill that deals in reclaimed and exotic woods. I am going to visit him first.

I found this marble top and I do like the idea of being able to use the back as a shelf, but that would mean replacing the oval mirror.
Do you think it would look stupid if I copied the style of this marble top in wood??
Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 7.21.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 7.21.54 PM.png (917.94 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
This is how tight this small bathroom is. I was also thinking of putting up a small wooden shallow cabinet to hide the razors, shaving cream, etc. I don't care to advertise all the soap and maintenance products to everyone who happens to need to use it while visiting etc.
This bathroom is on the bottom floor (I call it the public bathroom because it is used more than the upstairs of which you have to cut through a my oldest's bedroom to get to.) This bathroom is the one my youngest and I use.
Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 10.15.39 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 10.15.39 AM.png (1 MiB) Viewed 2036 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Wackyshack, I see no reason copy the marble in would look odd. Although I think the infill o the back splash with some antique ceramic tiles rather than a wood panel would give it a period look

Wackyshack

Post by Wackyshack »

I never considered that. Tile. I was going to go with something like this in wood. The bathroom has that cottage/painted tole ware look on the main storage cabinet. So I didn't even think of tile.

Does this give a period look (wood back splash) or is this part of the made up faux Victorian, rustic farmhouse thing that they are pushing these days?

I do have the guy at the wood store searching his wood pile for something, so as things develop I will report my progress
Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 7.20.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 7.20.47 PM.png (661.09 KiB) Viewed 1965 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

C7D70CFD-5810-4FF3-8E1D-BED8A728AE15.jpeg
I was thinking some thing like this, replace the top with wood and add the vintage tiles to the back. You already have the cabinet and no need to change the plumbing.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

DE50F3E0-8F3B-4F37-AA0A-8A2F83BE4CFE.jpeg
DE50F3E0-8F3B-4F37-AA0A-8A2F83BE4CFE.jpeg (307.45 KiB) Viewed 1956 times