What Type of Wall Finish is this called?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
dmf6978
Just Arrived

What Type of Wall Finish is this called?

Post by dmf6978 »

My colonial house in NJ was built in 1927. I am trying to figure out the style of plaster work that was done on these walls. My mom told me its craftex (not sure i am pronouncing it right). However I have not been able to find anything online to replicate this type of work. See photo. I am desperately trying to find a craftsman in the northeast who does this work for hire. I submitted a photo
Attachments
IMG_0656.jpeg
IMG_0656.jpeg (132.21 KiB) Viewed 1318 times

Gothichome

Re: What Type of Wall Finish is this called?

Post by Gothichome »

I would refer to this finish as ‘knock down’. Now days you see it most often on modern ceilings done with drywall mud but believe there is a special gypsum based product for this. If there is an old fashioned plaster equivalent I really don’t know. I think with a bit of practice you could replicate the look.
Ron

dmf6978
Just Arrived

Post by dmf6978 »

The real question is, who would take on some projects to try and match this style. I don't really have time or expertise to try and fix or repair. Just hard to find a restoration guy whos willing to help me out in my area.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

DM, get hold of a dry wall mudder, also referd to a drywall finisher, this kind of job would fall into their privy.

dmf6978
Just Arrived

Post by dmf6978 »

Most of the drywall people in my area dont do quality work in my opinion. This would be plaster work, and not drywall. I need to find a restoration guy from the hudson valley who can help me.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Good luck. Any skilled plasterer will know how to do knock-down. It comes in and goes out of fashion.