It’s window season!

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
aislinn
Knows the area

It’s window season!

Post by aislinn »

Hello my wood window friends! It’s finally window season here in New England and I am hoping to move a little faster this year now that I’m getting the hang out it! Starting to take stock this weekend of my supplies and decide what window I’ll do first. Anyone else focusing on windows this spring/summer?

Gothichome

Re: It’s window season!

Post by Gothichome »

Aislinn, yup windows are on my list, there a perennial on my summer ‘to do’ list. Last year I only got three completely restored last year, my hope is to get four done this year. Walking around the house the other day I noticed a couple I did ten years ago need a bit of maintenance as well.

aislinn
Knows the area

Post by aislinn »

Glad I will have company! I am hoping for three this season! I think I'm going to attempt to do one of our downstairs windows which are stained on the inside. Huge pro is that I don't have to scrape paint from one side (and the more detailed side at that! Woo! But it WILL take some work to figure out how to match the putty for the glass bed and also what to do to the stained side.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Great! I could use the moral support. I have one large kitchen window ready to go back in and a couple of small ones I'd like to restore with my new leaded glass. Plus the rest of the house!

Post pictures!

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

I picked up two fixed sash from a neighbor, they replaced (ugh) these two windows. I had been eyeing the process closely and made my move to acquire the two sash. There are four vertical sash on the top with a shower glass like pattern. Four of the eight panes are sun colored(a light lavender) now after 120 years in the sun. Manganese and iron in the glass turn the glass purple over time. We will get them put into some custom fixed sash for our bathroom renovation planned for 2023. We want to put the sash at ceiling height to open up the wall for a shower in one bath and more wall space for art or what have you in the other. I'll have the same company make some wooden storms to fix over the exterior when the time comes. Best of luck on your window projects over the coming months. Sorry not to post much, but since the kitchen renovation in 2020 we haven't done much, just enjoying the new space and life.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Some window restoration insperation. Did these many years ago.
NH, that purple tint is what you want to find on old oil lamps and the such made with cheaper glass, I have never seen it in old wavy glass. Good score though on the sashes.
Ron

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Those windows look beautiful, Ron, and are indeed inspiring.

The door knob to my studio in the back of the house has a lavender tint to it.