Windows without weight pockets - cutting pockets?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Gothichome

Re: Windows without weight pockets - cutting pockets?

Post by Gothichome »

Jade, unless I missed it how should Vala hold her new pocket covers in place. If you cut just a rectangle out of the casing it will fall threw. Our pocket covers are ‘V’d at the bottom to receive a corresponding V grove in the cover. The top cover is cut with a bevel to match the bevel in the casing. Only one screw at the top holds the cover in place.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Just after posting I had a thought, (or a miracle as upper management would say). Vala could cut the ends of the pocket cut out with an upward slope at the bottom and a downward slope on the top cut. This would allow the cover to to fit back in place against a backer and could be secured with two screws.
But hummmmmm, the cover would sit a little deep in the pocket due to saw blade thickness. Might just need a shim to bring it flush.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Vala wrote:
phil wrote:he

youre the only one on this board who refers to me as "he" everytime...

oh Im so sorry Vala. I honestly didn't know Vala was a feminine name. I've never met anyone with that name personally and it must have been bothering you a while without my knowledge. Again I'm sorry this was completely unintentional and a complete oversight. how embarrassing!

Phil

Vala

Post by Vala »

phil wrote:
Vala wrote:
phil wrote:he

youre the only one on this board who refers to me as "he" everytime...

oh Im so sorry Vala. I honestly didn't know Vala was a feminine name. I've never met anyone with that name personally and it must have been bothering you a while without my knowledge. Again I'm sorry this was completely unintentional and a complete oversight. how embarrassing!

Phil

Well thank you for the apology. I normally don't like to make a fuss of things but it seems since you never noticed everyone else saying "she" I just decided I should let you know otherwise. In my experience names ending with "a" or "e" are usually (but not always) feminine.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

You had every right to call me on that and I am glad you did so I don't continue making the same mistake over and over, and I can see how that would be annoying. Yes I may have been slow to notice how others addressed you.

Ive been advertising rooms for rent and a lot of the applicants have foreign names and don't always specify if they are male or female so what I have been doing is googling their name and checking google images, then I can sometimes at least make an educated guess if most of the the images come up as male or female. as an exampe the last one was Tayte and it threw me. Turned out to be a guy but I thought the opposite until we actually spoke ;-)

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

Gothichome wrote:Just after posting I had a thought, (or a miracle as upper management would say). Vala could cut the ends of the pocket cut out with an upward slope at the bottom and a downward slope on the top cut. This would allow the cover to to fit back in place against a backer and could be secured with two screws.

Mine are secured with only a single screw. I'm pretty sure they are beveled as you suggest above. Now I'm going to have to go look...

Vala

Post by Vala »

heartwood wrote:really sorry you can't open the videos because they're exactly what you need and it's difficult to talk someone through it without the visuals...

some windows don't have parting beads at the top...instead, they have a wider head casing...since you don't have a dado to accept the top pb, you can nail one in or make a wider casing...the pb is the easier choice....you may want to make the depth of the pb match what is exposed for the side pb's...nail the top one in the center and use the side pb's to hold up either side of the top...make sense?

I would encourage you to call or write to steve and ask if he can email you the video...you can tell him his 'girlfriend' jade sent you!

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a shot. Yes I understand what you're talking how to secure the half depth parting bead. It's similar to how you put in a normal top parting bead before the side ones except this one needs a nail since there's no dado.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Gothichome wrote:Jade, unless I missed it how should Vala hold her new pocket covers in place. If you cut just a rectangle out of the casing it will fall threw. Our pocket covers are ‘V’d at the bottom to receive a corresponding V grove in the cover. The top cover is cut with a bevel to match the bevel in the casing. Only one screw at the top holds the cover in place.

My weight pockets are cut as 45° bevels on both ends, the top has 2 nail heads that slide into the top and the bottom has 2 tiny screws that hold it in place. I was thinking to duplicate this system.

Interestingly my trim is not nailed over plaster - most homes the trim is completely nailed over plaster and one would have to break through plaster to get into the weight pockets - but like I said that room is an add so they may have built it differently than the main house.

weight pocket bevel.jpg
weight pocket bevel.jpg (549.72 KiB) Viewed 1644 times

weight pocket cover.jpg
weight pocket cover.jpg (81.65 KiB) Viewed 1644 times

nails in jamb.jpg
nails in jamb.jpg (232.58 KiB) Viewed 1644 times

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

The old houses round here (including mine) were all plastered after the trim was put up... makes for a very different look to the trim
Mick...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Gothichome was also trimmed out before plastering.
Vala, the peg set up, pretty straight forward and looks to be the simplest way to make your pocket covers work. I would never have thought about some thing that simple and effective.