need picture rail help

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Ireland House
Been here a while

need picture rail help

Post by Ireland House »

Almost all of the common areas in my house have picture rail. I seems to be placed too high, either too close to the ceiling or the crown molding. I cannot get hooks onto it. It seems to be in its original position. Is there a different kind of hook, or am I just not getting it? Ther are two hooks on the rail in the living room that will not come off, but will move side to side. Could they have put the hooks on it before they put it up? If so, now what do I do?
HPIM2286.JPG
HPIM2286.JPG (48.49 KiB) Viewed 748 times
Today is my happily ever after.

Mick_VT

Re: need picture rail help

Post by Mick_VT »

what do the hooks that you are trying to use look like?
Mick...

Ireland House
Been here a while

Post by Ireland House »

We ordered it from HoAH. All of theirs pretty much had the same hook.
HPIM2289.JPG
HPIM2289.JPG (143.3 KiB) Viewed 741 times

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I can't really visualize the molding. it looks like it is a crown molding up against the ceiling and the picture is upside down ? maybe it's too early for me ;-)

I was wondering if the rail is for plates not pictures?

Ireland House
Been here a while

Post by Ireland House »

Here is a closer picture. It is the bottom row of woodwork that is shorter than the upper molding. They put mitered returns on all of the open ends, so you can't even slide one on the end. The same rail is along some of the ceilings, with only about 1/8" gap.
HPIM2291.JPG
HPIM2291.JPG (67.24 KiB) Viewed 738 times

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

maybe if they were the same general shape but made of round wire about the weight of a coat hanger then you might be able to turn them sideways and slip them in. I'd try a bit of coat-hanger or if you want something thinner and easy to bend as a test.
When i got the shape then maybe bend them out of brass wire. braising rod is an easy source. You could use silver wire too. the stuff you use for silver solder might work OK; probably a bit harder than pure silver like you might find in jewelry making supplies.
otherwise yea you'd have to remove the return to get them in which might not be impossible either. you might be able to use a coping saw blade to modify the return and the cut wouldn't be very noticible.
a dremil with a small spiral bit might be a way to cut a slot without taking it down.
like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF8-SV6ZA0M

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I'm thinking you likely just need to reshape the hook a little (flatten the top out) and it should pop in, so long as it is still hook shaped it should work fine.

This is particularly interesting to me as I am planning on fitting a similar picture rail setup in my dining room.
Mick...

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

It looks like there are two teeth or prongs on the end? I would start by grinding those down, see if you can get them in then. Round off any sharp edges so as not to scratch that wood! It's great!
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

JRC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by JRC »

I have the same problem. Until your post, I assumed that maybe someone put up a thin layer of drywall--or a skim coat of plaster--to conceal cracking original plaster. But now, I think the picture hooks are just too big. (and mine aren't so easily modified as yours)

Ireland House
Been here a while

Post by Ireland House »

Thanks guys. Will let you know what we figure out. P