A rhetorical drywall question and various flotsam

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
Greystonemanor
Just Arrived

Re: A rhetorical drywall question and various flotsam

Post by Greystonemanor »

Having been a partner in a large drywall contracting business, retired after 30 yrs, I can assure you, a textured finish would be used to disguise a poor tapers work.

Greystonemanor
Just Arrived

Post by Greystonemanor »

Not sure of labour and material costs where you are, but if the ceiling is at 8' and the room is ~17x18, you need ~17 sheets for the walls, 8 for the ceiling. So drywall, screws, tape, trim, mud: ~$350. Leaves about $550 for labour (or about 3-1/2 days x 8hrs x $20/hr), would take a day to board and trim, then three trips to tape.
It is work you can do yourself, but if the workman is reliable, and you cancel the texture finish, not outlandish. Another suggestion, hang the board yourself, hire the taper. Nobody likes taping...

TuckerTavern
Been here a good while

Post by TuckerTavern »

The ceilings are slightly less than 8'. The guy we hired has a crew of 5, he thinks they can do it in a day and a half depending on how fast the mud dries. I asked him what happens if we paint it and then we notice that it isn't done right, he said he'll come back and fix it and we don't need to pay until we're satisfied. I like that.

We've done *everything* here ourselves, wiring, plumbing etc. but drywall is a different beast. We're using that room and can't really do without it while my parlor furniture hangs out on the front porch for weeks waiting for us to learn to do drywall. :)

Greystonemanor
Just Arrived

Post by Greystonemanor »

If he is using a Durabond 45 or 90 compound, that is the drying/setting time in minutes. It is difficult to work with, as it sets up so fast. Usually requires a lot of sanding. Problem with the faster dry times is cracking. Use a dehumidifier, or fans in the room when he is finished. Wait at least a day to prime and bring in a bright bulb to inspect the surface after priming. 5 men x $15/hr x 8 hrs + materials ~$900. He's not retiring on that...

TuckerTavern
Been here a good while

Post by TuckerTavern »

Greystonemanor wrote: Wait at least a day to prime and bring in a bright bulb to inspect the surface after priming. 5 men x $15/hr x 8 hrs + materials ~$900. He's not retiring on that...

OK, will do, thanks for the heads up on that!