Bath Window Suggestions

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
accolay
Settling in

Re: Bath Window Suggestions

Post by accolay »

Whew! I was going to post these pics, but things got busy-I had to deal with this:
IMG_2875.JPG
IMG_2875.JPG (1 MiB) Viewed 589 times
That's an exterior wall. Note to self: make sure roofs are mainted before they leak. Both top and double plates crumbled in hand as did exterior sheating and tops of studs. The white stuff is fungus. At least it gives me an excuse to remove the asbestos siding. I digress.

Here's the bath window: Sorry, I should have used the flash. Tub is below. Need to fix framing. Possibly better picure later. Dig the security dowel.
IMG_2865.JPG
IMG_2865.JPG (580.13 KiB) Viewed 589 times

Closeup of the window. It's painted, but prior owner didn't use an extra shower curtain. It's moldy and needs complete refurb. I thought it had plexiglass or similar plastic, but I think it is glass with probaly a plastic coating.
IMG_2869.JPG
IMG_2869.JPG (1.2 MiB) Viewed 589 times

accolay
Settling in

Post by accolay »

Found the before picture. It almost looks like a normal bathroom but I assure you that it was disgusting. Note the extension of the bathtub at the right end. It leaked.
1 624 (2).JPG
1 624 (2).JPG (550.71 KiB) Viewed 587 times

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Despite its condition, it looks like the window wood is sound. Is it? If so, you can bring it back to life, and then make sure it's protected.

That tub extension is pretty peculiar, isn't it? Again, it can be made right.

I like your two-panel bathroom door. Are all the doors in the house like that?

I sympathize with your roof situation; I've recently gotten some bad news about mine, too.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

What are you planning for the wall itself? You mention getting rid of asbestos siding, but I'm curious about your mold cleaning plans as we may have to be doing something similar this year.

I agree with James that from what we can see from the picture of the window itself, it seems the window can be restored. Ours is still in a similar state--I am hoping to restore at least our bath and hopefully the cellar windows this year.

Oh--and the stick might also be the prop when the lower sash is open for circulation. The sash cords in our bath window were shot and I almost broke the top sash glass finding that out when I first unlocked the sash lock, and it came crashing down. I caught it just in time. :shock:

Our bath is likely in a similar state, which is why the bath window restoration is one of our priorities because we're planning to finally look behind the Drunken Weasel work that was done prior to sale. The listing photo for ours (the "tile" is molded plastic sheet goods--and the coloration on the glass is the static film):
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

accolay
Settling in

Post by accolay »

The roof is sound now. It's been fixed for several years, even before we bought it, but now dealing with the aftermath. More worried about the house blowing over in a stiff breeze. The wall is totally dry now, so I'll probably end up insulating and sealing up, then fixing from the outside when it ever gets warm here. Besides, little mold never hurt anybody :P

-Window wood is sound. I'm probably going to go with complete refurbish, keep the window as is and go with extra shower curtain.

-Dowel does double duty as support and lock. The windows are the one thing prior owners did not mess so much with the exception of nailing the top sash and something with a picture window. All sash weights are accounted for. But all windows require maintenance and love.

-The tub extension methinks is due to removing the old clawfoot and replacing with a small tub that didn't quite fit.

-That door is the only door in the interior of the house (small house). The rest of the doors are unaccounted for :( There were five missing doors but I removed one of the two entries to a first floor bedroom, so only four needed now. The had these sliding '70s track doors in place. One of the first things I removed from the place.

I know your pain with plastic tile- the rest of the "tile" in that bath was plastic. I had to rip out the plaster to remove it because it held so well, but also because the wall on the right was built on the edge of the stud and was quite wobbly.

Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Post by Kashka-Kat »

Is there anywhere else in the house a shower stall could go and keep this a bath only? Is this an occasional use shower or the whole fam taking a daily shower in it every day?

Having dealt with this situation before over the years... Im afraid it could become a nightmare. Not only moisture trapped behind the curtain causing mold but soap film coating everything which is difficult to keep clean .... and painted cos paint wont adhere if theres slightest bit of soap on or in the pores of the wood.

My tenants have a shower curtain that is very close to window (about 18 inches) but not right in front of it and its working ok.... I had to install a motion activated fan (so they cant turn it off) to keep the moisture down -otherwise it was getting moldy around the ceiling and window wall especially.

Actually Ive been thinking of making a larger walk in shower in that spot that would have the window in it - so Ive been googling/ researching "window in shower" There are various ways of doing it ranging from a type of vinyl window or fixed glass panel thats tiled/grouted around to get it water tight. I would get vintage effect some other way - in choice of tile or fixtures.

Not a fan of glass brick - too much light blocked by the mortar . Im thinking of some sort of fixed panel with textured privacy glass (has to be a certain type of non breakable glass btw).

That said ..... I LOVE LOVE Lily's bath pic - actually mine looks something like that except I have a claw tub under the window that has only a tall spout (for washing hair) and NO SHOWER at all, not even hand held. Just dont want to bother with the moisture issues.... and its MUCH easier for me to give up the shower than it would be to give up the deep luxurious tub . I mean if I gotta give up one - it would be shower, no question. Your mileage may vary - I know the shower people feel the same way about their showers!

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

I agree that there's nothing trashier than plastic tile but at least it repels water until the right wall covering comes along. It's not unusual to see beadboard wainscot around a bathroom, including surrounding the tub.

Daylight and air circulation should be enough to prevent mold or mildew. What about a high-tech solution - setting up a fan (not just an exhaust fan) on a timer? It would be pleasant in the summer and you could turn it on after your shower as you leave the bath in the winter.

ImageAntique Westinghouse fan by James McInnis, on Flickr
Last edited by Manalto on Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

That is a nice window and I can see what you mean about privacy. My window would be the top half, smaller, with frosted glass. I have a similar deco era style tub, formerly a clawfoot. I also have an extension, but it is a plastered floor to ceiling wall, which hides the back of the tub, as well as original tongue and groove wood.

PHOTO
Last edited by Nicholas on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

accolay
Settling in

Post by accolay »

Kashka-Kat wrote:Is there anywhere else in the house a shower stall could go and keep this a bath only? Is this an occasional use shower or the whole fam taking a daily shower in it every day?
I would definitely consider it however, it's a small house and this is the bathroom.

There will be a bath exhaust fan installed probably with a timer switch so I'm hoping I wont have any issues.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

if you have a window sill you could leave what window you have. Add some wood strips around the circumference, say 3/4 x 3/4. then put in a sheet of lexan, and you could attach some film to make it opaque or diffused. add a second strip (3/4 x 3/4 or so ) all around the edge to sandwich the lexan panel. drill holes and put screws through the edges of the lexan tying the two together.

It won't open. no one can get out in a fire. Its very hard to break though you can silicone it right in if the old window can vent a little to keep the fog out. . Not sure if you'd want that but it's a fairly inexpensive option. Bullet proof glass basically. I've noticed nice "stained glass" stick on film at home depot. maybe something like that could look ok?

I have a stained glass window and was worried the mower would throw a rock through it so I used foam tape and a sheet of lexan on the exterior. when I bed the glass it was just the two wiht the foam tape between so it just needed a but deeper rabbitt. You dont; really see it with the stained glass there and it's harder to break through. It protects the art glass. that's a nicer option if you have a stained glass window that fits. you could instead put the lexan on the inside to keep shower water off the stained glass and just use the foam tape between so those two panes are close together. If you have an art glass place they may make you a stained glass window with a design you like.