what to do with free flexible stucco and fibeglass ?

Need advice, technical help or opinions, you will find plenty here! (Technical posts here)
phil
Has many leather bound books

what to do with free flexible stucco and fibeglass ?

Post by phil »

Im always looking for free stuff to use in projects. its surprising sometimes. Here is an example free fiberglass roving and this epoxy/stucco stuff. i bet it is lke the stuff people are using to fix plaster cracks and there is 730 buckets for free plus 7 SKIDS of fiberglass roving.. wow that's a lot of free material ! I wouldn';t know where to begin but if someone just picked iut up and advertised in smalller quantities you could be re-selling it for a long time.

I thought gee could you build a structure like a car tent and then put the fiberglass roving over that and wet it with this stucco stuff? It might make a permanent car tent that wouldn't blow around and would be waterproof. I bet you could do a roof with this stuff.. or something. what's it usually used for ?

Phil
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/zip/5900978725.html

lovesickest
Forgotten more than most know

Re: what to do with free flexible stucco and fibeglass ?

Post by lovesickest »

Back away, Phil ! This is how hoarding happens. It's a slippery slope.

eclecticcottage

Post by eclecticcottage »

Quite honestly, I have no idea what I'd use it for or what it is used for. If it's usable though, I'd grab it and resell it, then use the funds towards a project/material I do need but can't find free.

I am a little peeved with myself about doors. I have a problem-I hoard old house parts people are throwing away. However, a time or two a year (usually), DH gets annoyed with my taking up shed space and I sell the collection and apply the funds towards house stuff. Just last year I sold an old screen/storm door (the ones with the screen and glass inserts that you swap) that would have been PERFECT for the Bungalow Project-and now I can't find one (I would love to replace the ugly metal one). I could probably find one at a salvage place, but they would want like $80-100 for it.

phil

Post by phil »

lovesickest wrote:Back away, Phil ! This is how hoarding happens. It's a slippery slope.

luckily I don't have room to store it ;-) I think If I had an empty garage I'd be trying to sell it in smaller quantities at cheap prices but If I don't have a use for the stuff I better stay home and drywall my ceiling and stay out of trouble ;-)

lovesickest

Post by lovesickest »

Seriously - this is how serious hoarding starts - with the "I don't have a use for it now, but I might in the future". Even 730 empty buckets take up a considerable amount of space. 730 buckets filled with goop that may be at or past the expiry date is a disaster waiting to happen, particularly if they need special disposal due to the contents. That is probably why the giver hasn't sold them - they are worthless. If you don't know what to do with or how to use one bucket, 730 buckets won't be a amazing free deal - it becomes a liability.

Here's a typical hoarding story. From looking at the guy's stuff, it is orderly, and most looks in useable condition. BUT - this doesn't belong in a residential area. If someone is accumulating but not also thinning/selling/discarding then the problem grows. Have a look at the arial photos of his property:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ndows.html

I am all for finding/pursuing free stuff that is useful,particularly saving antique building parts from the dump. I am also strongly in favour of letting that thing go if it hasn't been used in say, 24 months. Easy come/easy go.

This blog has sort of died, but if you read through the archives it is an account of two sisters who had to deal with their father's extensive hoard on an acre or more of property. It took years, and was a nightmare for the family to deal with. Don't do this to your partner, family or loved ones, people !

http://tetanusburger.blogspot.ca/

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

I'd also worry that at least the pailed contents may have expired. (I'm assuming it's premix, so higher chance.)

The carport idea sounds interesting, but I wonder about weight issues with snow without proper additional support.

There are times when, due to lack of funds for clean out, there are freebies of a worthwhile kind. However, there's the hassle of the mess when folks pick through if it's a variety of items, including damage to what gets moved around. I read a while back about a furniture company that closed down, and nothing was removed before the building sat. When there was interest in the building again, it all had to go, and quite a mess was made because they were not prepared for controlling traffic, as it were.

One good thing about being a renter all these years is we rarely lived anywhere where I could gather stuff I might need later. We have had some purges of stuff that we actually DID use, but due to finances couldn't afford to move and it wasn't a day to day need so it went, but that's different. (You'd be surprised how often we found an antique autoclave is useful.)

I have already told spouse to keep an eye on me if I suddenly start snatching up too many freebies for "later" if all goes well with the Baker bungalow. ;)

love, I've had to deal with a hoarder tenant in the past. I don't wish that sort of clean up on my worst enemy. (He was the worst kind--not just the usual non biological hazardous rubbish piles. I won't get into any of the biological hazards that were present because it's just not nice to even think about.)
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil

Post by phil »

I stayed home like a good boy and worked on my living room drywall job. The stuff sounded like a great deal but it would be impossible to use even a fraction of it and sometimes one does just need to put the blinders on and look ahead. I'm sue someone got a great scoop and that's ok. I got a few seams taped and played chase the corner bead with my little kitty helper ;-)

Lily left the valley

Hooray for progress and helpers! :D
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

lovesickest

Post by lovesickest »

I'm glad you let the sleeping pails of mystery stucco lie, Phil.

The living room progress will be 1000x more satisfying than epoxy stucco experiments. Although the volume of the pails alone could have been stacked up to build a sizeable outbuilding, I think ?

Here's hoping an innovative and industrious folk artist got that stucco bonanza who will put this to creative use.

Lily left the valley

lovesickest wrote:I'm glad you let the sleeping pails of mystery stucco lie, Phil.

The living room progress will be 1000x more satisfying than epoxy stucco experiments. Although the volume of the pails alone could have been stacked up to build a sizeable outbuilding, I think ?

Here's hoping an innovative and industrious folk artist got that stucco bonanza who will put this to creative use.

Hah! Let sleeping pails of mystery stucco lie. There's a cartoon waiting to happen right there.