Old House Archaeology

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
accolay
Settling in

Old House Archaeology

Post by accolay »

Thought I'd share the stuff I've found with my renovation. Though I was dissapointed to find the wallet empty of money, it still made me smile when I discovered the pictures instead. I'm sure it was placed purposly and once I'm done I've decided to put it back where I found it. No gold or jewels- only three wheat pennies and a few modern ones. Marbles have always been my favorite to find and this is a huge haul- 36 marbles. There are three 1920s home magazines and I'm showing the best copy. Thought it was really interesting to find the Swami Yogananda bill as I'd recently heard of a documentary film about his life. The thread was in better condition, but I dropped the box.
Attachments
IMG_2893.JPG
IMG_2893.JPG (1.12 MiB) Viewed 780 times
IMG_2892.JPG
IMG_2892.JPG (1.2 MiB) Viewed 780 times
IMG_2888.JPG
IMG_2888.JPG (1.09 MiB) Viewed 780 times
IMG_2887.JPG
IMG_2887.JPG (1.26 MiB) Viewed 780 times
IMG_2886.JPG
IMG_2886.JPG (817.09 KiB) Viewed 780 times
IMG_2885.JPG
IMG_2885.JPG (1.35 MiB) Viewed 780 times
IMG_2884.JPG
IMG_2884.JPG (1.31 MiB) Viewed 780 times

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Old House Archaeology

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

So far, most of my finds have been outside. Going through the yard with a metal detector turned up several streetcar tokens, local merchant tokens, metal toys, keys, key fobs (including the original key fob from the real estate company that sold the house new), and of course coins that dated from the 1880s through the modern era.

Interior finds included a straight-sided Coca Cola bottle and a few bottles from local breweries and local sodas.

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

Nice finds! I found a few marbles, an older bottle, and a key plate from one of the original doors. I am curious about the 4 x 6 structure under my kitchen, could be the foundation of the original kitchen. Shows up as taxable on the house BAS. Things here are a little murky before 1927.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Found very little in Gothichome. Found what I believe to have been the money board but it was empty. The yard though has never been metal detected, just might be a treasure or two. I do know that when ever I dig hole I find bits of red brick, now that’s not exciting at all.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Gothichome wrote:I do know that when ever I dig hole I find bits of red brick, now that’s not exciting at all.

That could be an indicator that there was an even earlier structure there at one time, or the site could have been used as a dump before the house was built. Either way, there's likely to be some artifacts under that dirt!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

No, I think it’s most likely bits and peices, (cast offs) from the building of Gothichome

Sow's Ear Mal
Stalwart

Post by Sow's Ear Mal »

Finding these little treasures is priceless. here are a few pics of ours... :)
bottle.jpg
bottle.jpg (13.62 KiB) Viewed 745 times
concealment shoe.jpg
concealment shoe.jpg (45.29 KiB) Viewed 745 times
finds.jpg
finds.jpg (64.79 KiB) Viewed 745 times
pipe bits.jpg
pipe bits.jpg (45.49 KiB) Viewed 745 times
pipe.jpg
pipe.jpg (94.19 KiB) Viewed 745 times

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

Wow!! Love this thread!
I haven't found much here. Maybe the treasure is still out there... haha!
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

LoveBlockIsland
Settling in

Post by LoveBlockIsland »

Loving these pictures! Cool finds! I keep forgetting to ask my Dad if he still has my mother's metal detector. (My Mom passed away two months ago, and Dad is 88).

We live on Nipsachuck Hill, near the site of the 1675-1678 King Philips War. (House was built in 1698)
http://www.valleybreeze.com/2013-12-18/ ... yTjZoonbIV (Link is about a neighbor's property)

I am sure there are a lot of arrow heads to be found, like other nearby landowners have found.

In the woods of my childhood home, just up the street from this property, there was a small burial ground and several large rocks set together. There were Indian coins in one of the rocks, along with a spear. My Mom was able to get the coins out, but sadly, I never found out what she did with them.