Well damn...my dream house...they lowered the price

A place to hang out, chat and post general discussion topics. (Non-technical posts here)
eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

Well damn...my dream house...they lowered the price

Post by eclecticcottage »

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2632- ... 8332_zpid/

I stalked this place for YEARS. Looked at it like 15 or so years ago when it was an REO, I still have film photos somewhere. The kitchen is a travesty (it used to be cute) and since then the series of owners have torn down all of the barns and outbuildings, replaced the windows instead of the roof...it's a HUGE project. It's one I've been eyeing but I think it's more than I can handle. Someone buy this thing and rehab it right, PLEASE! It needs a lot of work, but it's such a great house.

eclecticcottage

Re: Well damn...my dream house...they lowered the price

So I searched OHW b/c I knew I posted on there about it. It was January 2002. And Don M taught me a new "style" of house-vernacular farmhouse-back then.

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

Whoa. It shocks me that you can buy ANY sort of a house for $40,000. My garage cost more than that, in materials alone!
Lovely place, although it obviously does need work. Still... 4.7 acres? For 40K? Blows my mind. Guess I'm used to GTA prices!
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

eclecticcottage

JacquieJet wrote:Whoa. It shocks me that you can buy ANY sort of a house for $40,000. My garage cost more than that, in materials alone!
Lovely place, although it obviously does need work. Still... 4.7 acres? For 40K? Blows my mind. Guess I'm used to GTA prices!

I bought the Bungalow Project for less. My neighbors live in the GTA but bought a cottage here because prices are so much lower over here. I can see Toronto on a clear day lol.

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

Good for you! That's incredible value. Very awesome!
On the next clear day, I'll wave :)
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

Powermuffin

Post by Powermuffin »

Wow, amazing price! Do you suppose the left hand part of the house is an add on? I love the moldings and the bathrooms aren't bad either. Kitchen is awful though.

eclecticcottage

That one pink and black bathroom makes me crazy-they set the ONE pink floor tile all the way to the right, making it lose the pattern. ARG.

This one:

I think the left side might have been an early addition, it's the ell where the kitchen is. I also think the cellar isn't under that part, but I'm working from memory.

This is the room above the kitchen in the ell. That exposed brick has been that way since we looked at it in 02.

There is another house in town with nearly identical moldings that I know of-it's also brick. They are pretty amazing.

The oranger looking bricks are because the facing (for lack of a better word) has come off. It has been that way, and was one thing that really bothered me on how to fix originally in 02.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

eclecticcottage wrote:{snip}The oranger looking bricks are because the facing (for lack of a better word) has come off. It has been that way, and was one thing that really bothered me on how to fix originally in 02.

I have read about brick stains that can help with mismatches due to those sorts of things. I've never used them myself.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

eclecticcottage

It's not so much the color that is bothering me, it's that the hard part of the brick is gone, exposing the soft inside. It concerns me what damage that could eventually cause. What sucks is someone just tore an ell off of a brick house in town that was built maybe 20 or so years later-I bet those bricks could have been used if someone knew how to carefully remove the damages ones and mortar in new ones. They are gone now though.

eclecticcottage

JacquieJet wrote:Good for you! That's incredible value. Very awesome!
On the next clear day, I'll wave :)

It is, but resale isn't like the GTA either. The Bungalow Project, finished, will be "worth" less than a mess of a house up there. Very tight market for fixing old houses down here. The Wilson Cambria house would probably fetch 120-150K when done-roof, brickwork, hvac, needed interior and foundation repairs, porch repair...Acreage is under what's required for horses, or it might go higher.

Here's a couple in the same town, that are in town, I love these:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/311-M ... 8999_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/308-M ... 9140_zpid/

Horse lot:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3417- ... 0119_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2804- ... 9856_zpid/ (I am partial to cobblestones. I don't think this one sold though, they were pushing hard marketing it but just didn't get any takers)

Thanks-I'll be sure to wave back!! :mrgreen: