Lucky dining room table find

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
mkeller234
Been here a while

Lucky dining room table find

Post by mkeller234 »

Ever since we moved we have been looking for dining room table that fit our dining room... and budget. We have found a lot of tables that we really liked, but quality furniture is surprisingly expensive.

We got really lucky and found a table and four chairs at our local habitat for humanity restore. It was 95 dollars, but marked 60 percent off! So, for the bargain price of 38 dollars we knew we had to buy it. It also came with a removable leaf and a protective cover for the top. The chairs will need to be recovered since they have tears. It looks like they have been changed once already anyway.

The table and chairs are marked on the bottom, Paramount furniture Co. Warren PA. I looked it up and according to the internet it is made out of Mahogany. Does anyone have any additional information about Paramount furniture?

ImageDSC05485 by mkeller234, on Flickr

ImageDSC05487 by mkeller234, on Flickr

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Lucky dining room table find

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

I would say it's probably from the 1940s. You did good for that price and it looks like it was taken care of.

Based on a quick search, the company was founded around 1925 and was sold in the mid 1950s.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

ok Just going by the brass feet with wheels but I think it's a pretty common maker and I think those brass "shoes" are a sign that will help you ID other tables of the same maker.

I have a table with similar feet and I have seen lots of others. If you watch "I love lucy", she and Ricardo had one ;-)

The table I have isn't' really antique, it's duncan Phyfe style.
The one really cool feature about the table I have is it folds to a little coffee table , or you can lift the leaves and then it is about 4' x4' and all you have to do is lift the top and it locks in position at a regular 30 inch table hieght. the locking mechanism and folding legs are an engineering success.

mine I am trying to repair but someone already fixed the legs using metal "wavy strips" and glue etc and didn't get the parts pulled together properly so I now have a mess of a job to drill out any offending parts of the joinery and oh it's a mess but I think i can fix it. I always loved the usefullness of being able to change it to the 4 different configurations so easily. It saw heavy use and got leaned on a lot which caused the legs to eventually buckle.

here are some others with similar feet.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Duncan- ... 2040323783

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ETHAN-ALLEN-DIN ... 1740007389

http://thumbs.worthpoint.com/EDFkG0lUCY ... 9f789f.jpg

Phil

lisascenic
Stalwart

Post by lisascenic »

It looks great in your dining room! Also, I like your orange walls.

mkeller234
Been here a while

Post by mkeller234 »

lisascenic wrote:It looks great in your dining room! Also, I like your orange walls.

It's hard to tell between the camera and computer monitors but our dining room is actually pink. When we moved in, we stripped a lot of old wallpaper and found a LOT of pink walls. We got as close of a match to the pink as we could and decided to keep that in one room. The dining room had two colors pink and a seafoam green color. It's not as bright as it looks in the pictures.

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

Great table and chairs. You may be able to find more chairs in a similar style on Craigslist or at Habitat in the future.

We bought a like-new sofa at Habitat for $62.00. I reupholstered it we love it. I think it sat in a sun room and was never used. Not one crumb or speck of anything was found when I ripped the upholstery off, but one side was a bit faded.

We love to go to Habitat Restores. I got a set of golf clubs and a almost new bag for $16, a tall cabinet with a glass door for $10, a few bowling balls, which I mosaic for a few bucks, and other things. Oh, and two wing chairs, which I also reupholstered for $15/each. Love those stores.
Diane

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Mkeller, a very nice indeed. Your best China will look grand set out on it.

kelt65
Stalwart

Post by kelt65 »

Great find! It's a Regency/Federal style table, which were very popular up to the 1940's, even though Regency is an 18th century style. The chairs aren't a technical match but they look great anyway.

BTW, nice floor. Is that white oak?

Vala

Post by Vala »

We have some Duncan Phyphe tables. I didn't realize they were that new, although ours have claw feet.